Summary and Background Information
The GovHack technology team is in charge of developing and maintaining the essential technical systems for the organisation. This includes both the Hackerspace and GovHack.org Website.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities for team roles available
We are looking to recruit a team of 2-3 people who will be led by a Technology Lead to manage GovHack systems (Hackerspace and GovHack.org Website) and carry out the following tasks:
- contains participant profiles, challenges, project submissions
- Maintenance of the existing system
- Development of new features
- Supporting the scalability and capacity management (with guidance from lead developers)
- Provide technical, second level support
- Maintenance and updates to the backend as required
The Technology Team works closely with the Competition and Data Teams to ensure all systems are ready for the GovHack competition
- One or more of the following web technologies used in GovHack systems:
- GovHack website – WordPress
- Experience in UX or UI design a bonus
- Experience with any code repository (e.g. GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket, Azure Repos)
- Knowledge of GovHack or a similar large scale Hackathon
- Proven personal communication skills
- Proven time management skills
- Familiarity with Slack API, Mailchimp API or other similar APIs
- Experience leading project management and change management processes
Support and Supervision
The role will be guided and managed by the Competition Lead and will sit within the International Operations Team of GovHack.
The time commitment may different depending on the phase of the project but as you will be working on the same initiatives year round, it is expected a minimum of 2 – 4 hours a week is required.
In preparation for GovHack events (Jul – Sep) your workload will be the heaviest in the May – August months. Workload during the second phase (Sep – Dec) will lighten up as you prepare for the next year and make any changes as required.
- Network and build new tools and systems with motivated and inspiring people
- Deepen your technology skills and learn new tools
- Acknowledgement that you helped deliver the largest hackathon in the Southern Hemisphere
- Deepen your connection with the innovation and Hackathon community in Australia
- Opportunity to gain a reference from skilled professionals in your field