Interested in volunteering for GovHack?
GovHack is free to attend and participate in. Volunteers coordinate all the necessary components for the competition so participants only need to bring themselves and their devices to compete. We invite you to come and learn more about running a Hackathon and working with open government data.
We have a number of different roles available, across all levels! From our International Operations Team down to Local Online Event Hosts.
How do I apply?
- Read through the roles listed below and click to view the full PD of the role you are interested in- make sure you fit the criteria and are happy with the time commitment involved
- Complete our application form by hitting the ‘apply now’ button at the bottom of this page OR at the bottom of any of the position descriptions linked on this page.
International Operations Team (AUSNZ)
The GovHack International Operations Team spans across Australia and New Zealand. They provide support to State and Local teams and provide central coordination of the competition, communication, marketing and sponsorship. They also run the International Red Carpet Awards and provide overall coordination and leadership, working closely with Regional Directors, regional teams and GovHack events.
- The GovHack Competition Team ensures the competition is a fair process for all competitors and meets policy decisions made. They are involved in ensuring a fair and equitable competition, with relevant themes…READ MORE & APPLY HERE
- We are looking to recruit a team of 2-3 people who will be led by the Community Partnerships Lead to carry out the following tasks: creating strategic partnerships and valuable relationships with external organisations…READ MORE & APPLY HERE
- The GovHack technology team is in charge of developing and maintaining the essential technical systems that at a core ensure the competition weekend goes off without a hitch….READ MORE & APPLY HERE
- With an International Operations Team, multiple State Operations Teams and even more local event volunteers, our volunteers need support in the role; making sure they have access to the right things and are provided with proper direction and assistance as requested…READ MORE & APPLY HERE
- We are looking to recruit a team of 3 – 4 who will be managed by the Marketing Lead, to carry out the following tasks; web content writing, graphic design, social media management ..READ MORE & APPLY HERE
Regional Operations Team (AUS only)
GovHack is brought to each state/region through the hard work of a Regional Operations Team (ROT), who are responsible for coordinating all GovHack activities in that region. This team is led by a Regional Director. The ROT is responsible for managing local sponsorship; marketing; community liaison; data management and technical support. They will also deliver the Connections pre-event (digital), the State hackathon event (digital) and the State Awards night (digital).
If you have experience or knowledge in the areas listed above, we would love to hear from you!
- Each of our regions requires team support, so we have a number of roles available across all States from WA, NT, SA, QLD, VIC, NSW, ACT, TAS ..READ MORE & APPLY HERE
- Our Event Hosts are the on-the-ground people that make GovHack happen. Traditionally, they organised physical events, catering and local sponsorship. This year, with our digital competition, the role has changed – with the physicality removed, our event hosts are now Online Facilitators / MCs of local GovHack events… READ MORE & APPLY HERE
Where do these roles fit in the GovHack organisation? Who will I be working with and where do I fit on the team?
See below for our organisation chart!
What if the role I want to apply for isn’t advertised?
We have lots of opportunities available for different positions, across different levels. If a role you are interested in is not listed, we most likely don’t have it available. However, if you think you have a skill set or are fit for a role that isn’t advertised, please email email@example.com.
Are these roles limited to Australia?
No, all of the roles are open to individuals across Australia and New Zealand. Recognising of course that Regional Roles do require you to reside in that particular region as these positions rely on local knowledge and connections. We see this as an opportunity to build the sector and increase networks and are working closely with New Zealand to achieve this.
How can I get involved?
1. Read through the PD of the role you are interested in- make sure you fit the criteria and are happy with the time commitment involved
2. Complete our form (via the Apply Now button) by answering a few questions and uploading your resume.
A member of the GovHack team will be in touch within two weeks, with an update on your application.
What is GovHacks’ Volunteer Expectations?
– You will do the things you commit to doing and will let the team know when you hit problems
– You will know the skills needed for your role and how to successfully employ them within it
– You will abide by our GovHack Code of Conduct
– You support our Purpose, Vision and Values
– You will be willing to assist when required, when we need things to get done quickly
– You will have fun, learn a bunch of new skills and work within a great team!
Where can I find more information?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.