Interested in volunteering for GovHack 2023?
GovHack is free to attend and participate in. Volunteers coordinate all the necessary components for the competition so participants only need to bring themselves and their devices to compete. We invite you to come and learn more about running a Hackathon and working with open government data.
We have a number of different roles available, across all levels! From our International Operations down to Local Event Teams.
How do I apply?
- Read through the roles listed below and click to view the full PD of the role you are interested in- make sure you fit the criteria and are happy with the time commitment involved
- Complete our application form by hitting the ‘apply now’ button at the bottom of this page OR at the bottom of any of the position descriptions linked on this page.
International Operations Team (AUSNZ)
The GovHack International Operations Team is the backbone of our hackathon, spanning across Australia and New Zealand. They support both state and local teams, and coordinate differing aspects of the competition, including but not limited to the Competition, Regional Leads, Local Events Team etc. Alongside this, they run the International Red Carpet Awards and provide additional support to regional leads, their teams and other GovHack events. At the moment, we are currently actively recruiting for the following Lead roles below:
Regional Leads/Team (ACT, NSW, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC, WA)
GovHack is brought to each state/region through the hard work of a Regional Operations Team, who are responsible for coordinating all GovHack activities in that region. They will also deliver the Connections pre-event, the Competition event, and the Regional Awards night. Learn More & Apply Here
Local Events Team
Interested providing on the day support during the competition? This role helps deliver a single event in areas around AUS/NZ!. Learn More & Apply Here
The Competition Team sets the direction and strategy of the competition. They ensure all people, processes and systems are ready throughout the competition lead in, weekend, and judging. Learn More & Apply Here
GovHack’s Marketing and Communication team will manage consistent and relevant outgoing communications across multiple channels. Learn More & Apply Here
The Media Liaisons will engage with media outlets and create relationships with relevant tech journalists to promote GovHack. Learn More & Apply Here
Government / Education Advisor
The Government/Education Advisor provides insights and advice to the Regional, Data, and Sponsors teams when approaching the Government and Education institutions. This role would suit someone either heavily involved in Government or with a background in Education. Learn More & Apply Here
Where do these roles fit in the GovHack organisation? Who will I be working with and where do I fit on the team?
See below for our organisation chart.
What if the role I want to apply for isn’t advertised?
We have lots of opportunities available for different positions, across different levels. If a role you are interested in is not listed, the team is possibly filled. However, if you think you have a skill set or are fit for a role that isn’t advertised, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are these roles limited to Australia?
No, all of the roles are open to individuals across Australia and New Zealand. Recognising of course that Regional Roles do require you to reside in that particular region as these positions rely on local knowledge and connections. We see this as an opportunity to build the sector and increase networks and are working closely with New Zealand to achieve this.
How can I get involved?
1. Read through the PD of the role you are interested in- make sure you fit the criteria and are happy with the time commitment involved
2. Complete our form (via the Apply Now button) by answering a few questions and uploading your resume.
A member of the GovHack team will be in touch within two weeks, with an update on your application.
What is GovHacks’ Volunteer Expectations?
– You will do the things you commit to doing and will let the team know when you hit problems
– You will know the skills needed for your role and how to successfully employ them within it
– You will abide by our GovHack Code of Conduct
– You support our Purpose, Vision and Values
– You will be willing to assist when required, when we need things to get done quickly
– You will have fun, learn a bunch of new skills and work within a great team!
Where can I find more information?
Please email email@example.com with any questions you may have.