Summary and Background Information
GovHack is the largest open-data Hackathon in the Southern Hemisphere and run almost entirely by volunteers across Australia and New Zealand. It has been operating for ten years and brings together people from all walks of life, to deliver solutions to community issues by hacking, mashing and remodelling Government Open Data.
The GovHack Competition Team ensures the competition is a fair and equitable process for all competitors. They are involved in setting the competition themes and direction, and ensuring all people, processes and systems are ready throughout the competition lead in, weekend, and judging.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities for team roles available
We are recruiting a team of 2-3 people, who will be led by the Competition Lead to assist with the following tasks:
- Creating supporting documentation describing the competition direction and parts for 2022
- Planning of the GovHack competition in 2022 (19 – 21 August 2022)
- Providing insights and new ideas for the competition
- Setting up of the Competition Framework and Judging systems
- Liaising with the Technology Lead / Team to ensure all systems and infrastructure are ready for the competition, including hackerspace testing.
- Project management experience
- Past GovHack or a similar large scale Hackathon experience
- Proven personal communication skills
- Proven time management skills
- Strong teamwork skills
- Enthusiastic about technology and digital ways of working
Support and Supervision
This role reports to the Competition Team Lead.
The time commitment required over the duration of the year will differ greatly depending on the phase of the project, however it is anticipated that a minimum of 2 hours a week will be required.
In the lead up for the competition weekend (August) you will be expected to work around 4 hours per week as this is the busiest period (Jun – Aug). During the post-competition phase (Sep – Dec) the hours required will decrease whilst you will assist with judging, working on GovHack’s internal systems and projections for the next year.
- Opportunity to network and collaborate with motivated and inspiring people
- Develop and strengthen your strategic and leadership capabilities
- Pick up new tech skills
- Broaden your knowledge of how Government departments operate
- Deepen your connection with the innovation and Hackathon community in Australia
- Acknowledgement that you helped deliver the largest hackathon in the Southern Hemisphere
- Opportunity to gain a reference from skilled professionals in your field