Summary and Background Information
GovHack is the largest open-data Hackathon in the Southern Hemisphere and run almost entirely by volunteers across Australia and New Zealand. It has been operating for ten years and brings together people from all walks of life, to deliver solutions to community issues by hacking, mashing and remodelling Government Open Data.
GovHack has a vast number of media channels used to communicate with the wider audience, from general members of the public to sponsors, volunteers, government agencies and other open data bodies.
We are looking to recruit a team of 4 – 8 who will be managed by the Marketing Lead, to carry out the following tasks.
- Marketing Plan creation & maintenance
- Social Media Management
- EDM Creation and Posting
- Graphic Design
- ** You must have one or more of the technical skills listed above to provide marketing support **
- Knowledge of marketing plans
- Strong visual design skills
- Strong copywriting skills
- Strong understanding of social media tools and mailchimp
- Previous experience in one of more of the following; social media management, graphic design, web editing and mailchimp.
- Knowledge of GovHack or a similar large scale Hackathon
- Proven personal communication skills
- Proven time management skills
- Strong teamwork skills
- Previous experience using the Google Suite
Support and Supervision
This team will be guided and managed by the Marketing Lead who will sit on the International Operations Team, representing the activity and information from this team at the International level. You will also be supported by the Operations Support for GovHack.
The time commitment required over the duration of the year will differ depending on the phase of the project, however it is anticipated that a minimum of 5 – 8 hours a week will be required.
The first phase of this role will be the audit and cleanup phase, introduction to the MarComms plan and ongoing social media updates (Feb – May).
The second phase (June – August) will be busiest as the outgoing communications increase significantly in the leadup to the competition weekend (August).
The third phase (Sep – Nov) is less busy but still requires lots of outgoing communications for the GovHack Award season.
- Opportunity to network and experience working with motivated and inspiring people
- Opportunity to gain new skill sets and experience
- Acknowledgements that you helped deliver the largest hackathon in the Southern Hemisphere
- Opportunity to gain a reference from skilled professionals in your field