Summary and Background Information
We rely on our volunteers to help bring GovHack alive each year. With an International Operations Team, multiple State Operations Teams and even more local event volunteers, they all need support in the role; making sure they have access to the right things and are provided with proper direction and assistance as requested.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Volunteer support Team will be made up of 2-3 people to work closely with the Volunteer Support Team Lead to coordinate volunteers across both Australia and New Zealand, at National; State and Local levels. You will assist in the review of current systems and if necessary create and design suitable support systems to ensure a beneficial experience for all GovHack volunteers and provide ongoing communication and support to all volunteers in their role. Assisting with the ongoing recruitment process, onboarding, ongoing support systems and recognition schemes.
- Sensitivity and discretion in dealing with personal information
- An understanding of recruitment and/or volunteer management
- Strong administrative skills
- Knowledge of GovHack or a similar large scale Hackathon
- Proven personal communication skills
- Proven time management skills
- Previous experience using the Google Suite
- Strong teamwork skills
Support and Supervision
This team will be guided and managed by the Volunteer Support Team Lead who will sit on the International Operations Team, representing the activity and information from this team at the International level.
You will also be supported by the Operations Support for GovHack.
The time commitment required over the duration of the year will differ greatly depending on the phase of the project, however, it is anticipated that a minimum of 5 – 8 hours a week will be required.
The first phase of this role will be the busiest, setting up frameworks and managing systems, while supporting new volunteers as they come onboard (March – October). The second phase (Nov / Dec) you will begin recruitment for the following year and support current volunteer through the phase-out process.. Throughout the year it is expected you and the team will be available to provide support to the volunteers as required (e.g replying to any emails or support requested).
- Opportunity to network and experience working with motivated and inspiring people
- Work experience in team management and volunteer coordination for your resume
- Acknowledgements that you helped deliver the largest hackathon in the Southern Hemisphere
- Opportunity to gain a reference from skilled professionals in your field