GovHack is an international competition for people of all abilities who seek to make life better through open data. Across one weekend, thousands come together to form teams, agree projects, and participate in what has become one of the world’s largest open data competition.
Why does GovHack matter
Formed with the objective to raise the profile of open government data, GovHack has since evolved to encompass the following objectives:
► To provide an opportunity through open data for government, citizens and industry to collaborate, gain knowledge and develop new skills;
► To showcase open data as a mechanism for identifying and solving deep-rooted social, economic and environmental challenges;
► To impress upon Government the economic and societal value of quality, machine- readable, standardised open data;
► To highlight the increasing value of open data as a tool to promote transparency, strengthen democracy, and develop trust.
We are a festival of ideas using open government data to make our communities better places
‘GovHack in a Box’ – GovHack is a package: a template with a scalable model that operates in Australia and New Zealand and has been adapted and delivered in other countries, under licence to GovHack Australia, to facilitate open data literacy internationally
- Inclusive – we’re for everyone! age-less, diverse, accessible, safe and secure
- Free – all our events, everywhere, for everyone
- Hackers first – we prioritise the needs of the community who are participating
- Regional – we’re driving GovHack into regional towns for regional talent participation. GovHack is not just for cities.
- Volunteer-driven – passionate volunteers are the change makers to bring GovHack alive
- Transparent – accountable, published communications, timely and available release of GovHack’s own data
- Open Access – advocate for open data, open source, shareable, adaptable
- FAIR (findable, accessible, interoperable, and reusable).
GovHack Board, Constitution & Legal Status
GovHack Australia Limited is an Australian limited liability public company. We have a board of directors and members. We operate as a not-for-profit as defined by our constitution.
ODANZ is Open Data Alliance of New Zealand. They run GovHack in New Zealand. They are a non-profit charitable trust.