Summary and Background Information
GovHack is the largest open-data Hackathon in the Southern Hemisphere and run almost entirely by volunteers across Australia and New Zealand. It has been operating for ten years and brings together people from all walks of life, to deliver solutions to community issues by hacking, mashing and remodelling Government Open Data.
The GovHack Data Lead manages our external relationships with Government data custodians; organisations; and partners. They will also manage the internal Data processes for GovHack.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Your role will be split into three main areas which are outlined below. As the lead, you will be responsible for driving these initiatives and also providing strategic direction and managing your team to ensure these objectives are met.
Sponsor Liaison and Support
- Provide coordination and leadership in assisting sponsors to develop their challenges.
- Provide leadership and direction around open data publication and strategy for data owners
- Provide advice and guide sponsors on data preparation and publication.
GovHack Internal Data Management
- Be responsible for driving GovHack to produce and openly release its own data.
- Provide guidance on open data literacy and data management strategy for GovHack.
- Ensure compliance with existing organisational policies affecting data.
Creating key relationships with data-related organisations
- Work in collaboration with Community Partner and Sponsorship Leads to negotiate on appropriate data sets for the competition
- Manage and create external relationships with Government data custodians; organisations; and partners.
- Referral to other supporting organisations, for example the DTA Open Data Community of Practice.
- Strong understanding of data literacy and management
- Confidence in Government policy and strategy
- Proven personal communication skills
- Competition management experience
- Past GovHack or a similar large scale Hackathon experience
- Proven time management skills
- Proven leadership or management experience
- You will be required to attend our weekly video conferences (Thursday 6.30PM AEDT).
Support and Supervision
This role will be part of the International Operations Team and will be responsible for providing updates and reporting the activity of the Data Team to the International Operations Team.
The time commitment required over the duration of the year will differ greatly depending on the phase of the project, however it is anticipated that a minimum of 2 hours a week will be required.
The expected work hours during the first phase (Feb- April) of this role will be around 5 hours, as you begin setting up systems, planning your approach and approaching data organisations.. Providing support to sponsors and working on the database will take up more time during the second phase (April – August), with around 8 hours/ week expected.. After the GovHack weekend (August), you will primarily work on GovHack internal data systems and projections for the next year (Sep – Dec).
- Opportunity to network and collaborate with motivated and inspiring people
- Develop and strengthen your strategic and leadership capabilities
- Pick up new tech skills
- Broaden your knowledge of how Government departments operate
- Deepen your connection with the innovation and Hackathon community in Australia
- Acknowledgement that you helped deliver the largest hackathon in the Southern Hemisphere
- Opportunity to gain a reference from skilled professionals in your field