Summary and Background Information
GovHack has a vast number of media channels used to communicate with the wider audience, from general members of the public to sponsors, volunteers, government agencies and other open data bodies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities for team roles available
We are looking to recruit someone will be managed by a Marketing Lead, to carry out the following tasks.
- Writing content for website blogs regarding topics of interest
- Conducting interviews for blogs, ranging from sponsors to participants. See here for past examples: https://govhack.org/media-hub/
- Contacting National and State media outlets [desirable]
- Writing and release of press releases [desirable]
- Knowledge of marketing plans
- Interest in Journalism / Media and with relevant experience
- Strong copywriting skills
- Knowledge of GovHack or a similar large scale Hackathon
- Proven personal communication skills
- Proven time management skills
- Strong teamwork skills
Support and Supervision
You will be guided by the Marketing Lead who will sit on the International Operations Team, representing the activity and information from the marketing team. You will also be supported by the International Operations Team for GovHack.
The time commitment required over the duration of the year will differ depending on the phase of the project, however it is anticipated that a minimum of 5 – 8 hours a week will be required.
The first phase of this role will be the audit and cleanup phase, introduction to the MarComms plan and ongoing campaigns (Feb – May).
The second phase (June – August) will be busiest as the outgoing communications increase significantly in the leadup to the competition weekend (August).
The third phase (Sep – Nov) is less busy but still requires lots of outgoing communications for the GovHack Award season.
- Deepen your marketing skills and learn new tools
- Opportunity to network and experience working with motivated and inspiring people
- Acknowledgements that you helped deliver the largest hackathon in the Southern Hemisphere
- Opportunity to gain a reference from skilled professionals in your field