Summary and Background Information
GovHack is the largest Hackathon in the Southern Hemisphere and runs almost entirely by volunteers across Australia and New Zealand. It has been operating for ten years and brings together people from all walks of life, to deliver solutions to community issues by hacking, mashing and remodelling Government Open Data.
We rely on our volunteers to help bring GovHack alive each year. With an International Operations Team, multiple State Operations Teams and even more local event volunteers, they all need support in the role; making sure they have access to the right things and are provided with proper direction and assistance as requested.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of this Position
Leading a small team of people to facilitate the management and support of volunteers across both Australia and New Zealand, at both National; State and Local levels.
Reviewing and designing support systems to ensure a beneficial experience for all GovHack volunteers and providing ongoing communication and support to all other volunteers in their role.
You will also be managing the recruitment process (including setting up the systems required to support this) and provide insights into the organisational structure of GovHack for the following year.
- Sensitivity and discretion in dealing with personal information
- Previous experience in recruitment and/or volunteer management
- Lead the Volunteer Management Team to deliver
- Knowledge of GovHack or a similar large scale Hackathon
- Proven personal communication skills
- Proven time management skills
- Demonstrated Leadership or management experience
- Previous experience using the Google Suite
- You will be required to attend our weekly video conferences (Thursday 6.30PM EDST).
Support and Supervision
This role will be part of the International Operations Team and will be responsible for providing updates and reporting to the rest of the team. You will also be supported by the Operations Support Coordinators for GovHack.
The time commitment required over the duration of the year will differ greatly depending on the phase of the project, however, it is anticipated that a minimum of 5 – 8 hours a week will be required. You will be required to attend International Operation Team meetings via weekly video conferences (Thursday 6.30PM EDST).to deliver regular updates and actively contribute to the successful delivery of GovHack.
The first phase of this role will be the busiest, setting up systems and leading the Volunteer Management Team supporting new volunteers as they come onboard (Feb – July). The competition period (August) is our busiest time, but not for this role. The close off period (Nov / Dec) will require more work as you will begin recruitment for the following year and support current volunteers through the phase-out or re-engagement process. Throughout the year it is expected you and the team will be available to provide support to the volunteers as required (e.g replying to any emails or support requested).
- Opportunity to network and experience working with motivated and inspiring people
- Work experience in team management and volunteer coordination for your resume
- Acknowledgements that you helped deliver the largest hackathon in the Southern Hemisphere
A reference can be provided upon completion of a year of volunteering with GovHack