Summary and Background Information
GovHack has a vast number of media channels used to communicate with the wider audience, from general members of the public to sponsors, volunteers, government agencies and other open data bodies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
We are looking to recruit a team of 3 – 4 who will be managed by the Marketing Lead, to carry out the following tasks.
Web Content Writing
- Maintain the govhack.org website
- Updating the website content when required
- Writing engaging and relevant web content for GovHack
- Assist in the design of the website (working closely with our Technology team)
- Have an understanding of the technical skills required to edit and maintain the govhack.org website (WordPress knowledge)
EDM Creation and Posting
- Assisting with the creation and scheduling of GovHacks national newsletter (fortnightly)
- Assisting with the creation and scheduling of State newsletters (as required)
- Work closely with the rest of the Marketing team and Project Coordinator to have sufficient and relevant content
- Understanding of how to use mailchimp as a CRM tool and ability to reorganise and manage a mailing list
Social Media Management
- Actively engage with the GovHack community across social media platforms, including responding to inquries
- Coordinate the delivery and production of content on a National and State level
- Assist in the cleanup and audit of GovHacks digital accounts
- Assist in the planning and delivery of GovHacks social media strategy
- Assist in the management of State / Local community groups on Facebook
- Create and schedule content updates for GovHack’s multiple social media platforms, in line with our National calendar of events.
- Create infographics, advertisements and design material for newsletters, social media posts and reports
- Assist in the creation and design of the Year in Review, Sponsor Prospectus and other reports
You must have one or more of the technical skills listed below to provide support in one of the four key areas outlined above.
- Strong visual design skills
- Strong copywriting skills
- Strong understanding of social media tools and mailchimp
- Previous experience in one of more of the following; social media management, graphic design, web editing and mailchimp.
- Knowledge of GovHack or a similar large scale Hackathon
- Proven personal communication skills
- Proven time management skills
- Strong teamwork skills
- Previous experience using the Google Suite
Support and Supervision
This team will be guided and managed by the Marketing Lead who will sit on the International Operations Team, representing the activity and information from this team at the International level.
You will also be supported by the Operations Support for GovHack.
The time commitment required over the duration of the year will differ depending on the phase of the project, however it is anticipated that a minimum of 5 – 8 hours a week will be required.
The first phase of this role will be the audit and cleanup phase, introduction to the MarComms plan and ongoing social media updates (May). The second phase (June – August) will be busiest as the outgoing communications increase significantly in the leadup to the competition weekend (August). The third phase (Sep – Nov) is less busy but still requires lots of outgoing communications . The last phase will be a cleanup and preparation for the next year (Nov- Dec).
- Opportunity to network and experience working with motivated and inspiring people
- Acknowledgements that you helped deliver the largest hackathon in the Southern Hemisphere
- Opportunity to gain a reference from skilled professionals in your field